Skip to main content

Hospital Give and Take

Generally speaking, I'm a good hospital patient. There is little I require.

Get my nasogastric tube out as soon as possible — those things hurt like hell. I'll happily consume all the Ensure, Jell-O (a little variation please), popsicles, yogurt, pudding, juices, and fresh fruit and veggies you give me — but I'm not going to eat a lot of the over-cooked, steam re-heated, unseasoned, unidentifiable, depressing dreck that arrives under that taupe plastic plate cover a la food services. As soon as you say that I'm allowed to get out of bed, sit in the chair, or walk the halls, I will with diligence — but I'm not going to page my nurse every single time because I know nurses are busy and my family caretakers and I have been through enough surgeries to know how to roll to one side, get up slowly, and shuffle about without injuring anything, falling, or screwing up the various IVs and lead wires. So if I'm in bed asleep or resting, that means I'm worn out — I don't need a pedantic lecture about getting up and moving about and using the inspirometer as much as possible. 

I will take my meds when you give them to me. I will be honest about my need for pain control, and I will  tell you as soon as I notice the pain creeping in rather than wait until I'm a sniveling, pathetic mess. I'll be quiet and calm when you need to draw blood. I'll obediently let you take my blood pressure and temperature every two hours including in the middle of the night (though it's nice of you not to turn on the overhead lights). I will say please and thank you. 

I've been here. I've done this. I bring my own inspirometer and non-slip socks. 

Just please... PLEASE... let me take a shower. 

It was at least five days after my renal, celiac, and mesenteric bypass surgery before my pleas for a true shampooing were allowed to be met. The surgery was, as would be expected, serious. Eight hours on the table gave way to days spent in the ICU where I marked time only by noting shift changes and my parents' clothing during their twice daily permitted visits — new clothes, new day. Finally transferred to the vascular ward, I looked marginally better than raw meat on a stick with my central venous catheter, IVs in my wrist and hand, and the ever present five-lead color-coded heart monitor. Still more days passed. I was eventually allowed solid foods — from chicken broth to fried chicken, which I pushed away and asked, uncharacteristically for Teddy Grahams. I ate the head off of one and declared myself full. 

But more than Teddy Grahams, what I wanted was a shower. Crusty with iodine and tape residue, body oil and sweat, I felt as appealing as construction worker with a home butchery hobby. My hair stood at odd angles completely on its own. My morale matched my personal state of funk. I begged, cajoled, and bargained for a shower. The problem was that I was not allowed to get my incision wet. My incision measured fifteen inches and cut across my abdomen from just to the right of my diaphragm, to my left flank along the curve of my rib cage. I did not yet have back the flexibility and muscle control to bend over such that only my head was in the water.

Desperate, I began to think creativity. "What about plastic wrap?" I asked. The nurse and my mother looked at one another with their eyebrows raised. My mother immediately went to the to the grocery store nearest the hospital. She came back with rolls of plastic wrap, a plastic table cloth, and tape. Gingerly yet snugly we wrapped my midsection, going around again and again. My mother cut a hole in the plastic table cloth and slid it over my head, then tapped it around my neck. We toddled me into the tiled shower stall and turned on the warm water. As I clung to the shower's two vertical handrails with my head bent downwards, mom squirted shampoo onto my hair and proceeded to scrub my scalp with both hands. Water caressed the back of my head, my ears and my forehead, my cheeks, my closed eyes, and my joyous smile. 

With my hair clean, we turned off the water, stripped off my plastic sheeting, and continued on with a sponge bath. I was patted dry, given a new gown, and new socks. I had just settled into bed when the nurse returned to check on me. She blinked with surprise and involuntarily smiled at the completeness of my transformation. Like a wilted flower given rain, I had blossomed.


  1. Oh you made me smile- you described a hospital stay perfectly.

    Even 1 or 2 nights in the hospital without a major surgery, and nothing has more appeal then a shower- I swear showering improves recovery time!

    I am going to remember your Mom's trick- If anyone in my house needs a surgery, I will be packing saran wrap with the socks and magazines!
    Hope you feel better soon!

  2. I loved reading this post. There really is nothing like a bath or shower. Gosh, I love the way your Mom thought. Proves once again if there is a will there is a way.
    While the topic is difficult this was a true joy to read.

  3. How important this shower was to you is reflected in how perfectly you remember the incident. I can verify that every detail is correct, but how someone who was on a big whack of pain med can remember all this so exactly is beyond me. It reminded me of when I used to bathe you, dust you with scented baby powder and put you down for your afternoon nap.

    Love, Mom


Post a Comment

"We are what we think. All that we are arises with our thoughts. With our thoughts, we make the world." — Buddha

Popular posts from this blog

Access Medicine X: Live Stream Brings Silicon Valley Direct To You

Stanford Medicine X is a catalyst for new ideas, designed to explore social media and information
technology’s power to advance medical practices, improve health, and empower patients to participate in their own care. But Medicine X also seeks to engage and empower those unable to attend in person to still get involved in the discussion.

Through Medicine X’s Global Access program, main stage content from the three-day conference will be made available through a high-quality live stream. Anyone with an Internet connection around the world will be able to view keynote speakers such as Daniel Siegel, MD, clinical professor of psychiatry at University of California-Los Angeles and author of The New York Times bestseller Brainstorm: The Power and Purpose of the Teenage Brain, and panel discussions such as Gonzalo Bacigalupe's focusing on the e-health movement and inequality among marginalized populations.

“Medicine X has distinguished itself through a singular commitment to inclusivit…

(My) Patient Leadership in Health Care

They say my grandmother used wait on the stoop of the family’s crackerbox house in Southside Chicago and watch as my father walked to school to see if he would get in a fight before he got to the end of the block. The eldest son of a Polish steel mill worker who dropped out of high school, my father was on the wrestling team and cleaned the inside of tanker trains. But he was smart. He liked science and math, went to college on a scholarship, majored in economics, and went on to Cornell Law School.

As a lawyer, he represented the incarcerated’s rights at the state department of corrections, practiced defense in the state supreme court, and became chief legal counsel at one of the state’s 16 public universities. He helped build houses with Habitat for Humanity, served midnight breakfast to college students during exam week, and tutored his daughter who did not inherit his aptitude for science and math. He taught constitutional law and never once found himself on the wrong side of the …

And In The Wilderness A Clearing Emerged

In addition to my work as an advocate, my actual "job" has been as a reporter and editor. I've been in the field professionally since I was 17 (though one could count running the school yearbook and starting a literary magazine as my initial forays). My first employment outside a horse stable was in an university's public relations office. I worked four summers there moving up from the mail room and putting together basic press releases to writing full articles and contracting for assignment work while at college. I earned a degree in journalism with an outside concentration in political science at UNC-Chapel Hill. While there I worked as a writer, desk editor and managing editor of The Daily Tar Heel; wrote for and edited a literary magazine; volunteered for Journalists United to Maximize Potential, a student-run organization that taught middle school students how to produce a newspaper; interned in public relations for the Morehead Planetarium; and interned in publ…